Supervisor: JoAnn Bahr
Sections I & II (Needlework and Home Handicraft, Home Canning)
Thursday, Aug 30 (10 am-5 pm), Friday, Aug 31 (10 am-7 pm) & Saturday, Sept 1 (10 am-5 pm)
Sections III, IV, V, VI, & VII (Homemade Candy and Baked Goods)
Wednesday, Sept 5 (8:00 a.m. to noon only)
Entry Charge (per entry):
Judging Dates: September 4 & 5 (applicable sections only)
Entries Released: Monday, Sept 17 (10 am-7 pm) & Tuesday, Sept 18 (10 am-2 pm)
Exhibitors must read and abide by Living Arts General Rules.
- No entry will be received in the Fair Office prior to the entry dates. Entries must be taken to the Zion Building.
- No articles will be released prior to release dates.
- Exhibitors may enter only one (1) item per lot number. Similar or like items may not be entered in different classes. Items should be entered in the class where they most fit.
- Every exhibit must remain intact until specified release dates. Exhibitors are not allowed to help themselves in removing an entry. Assistants are provided for this purpose. The Fair is not responsible for articles left after release dates.
- Only articles listed will be accepted for entry.
- All articles in the Needlework and Home Handicraft classes must have been completed within the past two years. All exhibits in the Home Canning classes must have been prepared within the past year. AN ARTICLE WHICH HAS BEEN ENTERED IN A PREVIOUS UTAH STATE FAIR WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- Entries are limited to residents of Utah.
- All entries must be the work of the exhibitor and shown in his or her name. There is no age limit. Original designs should be so labeled.
- The Supervisor reserves the right to refuse entries offered in case there is anything objectionable or not fit for judging or if the entry requires more space than can be allowed. No unfinished work will be accepted for entry. All articles must be clean, pressed, and if necessary, blocked.
- If sending articles by mail or express, address them to the Home Arts Dept., Utah State Fair, 155 N. 1000 W., Salt Lake City, UT 84116. Sender's name and address should be plainly written upon the inside. All packages must be prepaid. Directions for return shipment must be provided. Articles entered will be returned at the expense of the exhibitor. All packages must arrive by September 1st.
- Exhibitor's suggestions are welcomed and, where possible, classes may be added at popular request for the following year.
- Unless specified by the exhibitor, the supervisor will classify articles.
- All articles in this department must have either hand or machine sewing.
- Soiled articles will be disqualified.
- Items smaller than 9" must be mounted on fabric covered cardboard that is 2-3" larger than the item.
- The judges are instructed not to award premiums unless the articles are deemed worthy of merit. If any article is not worthy of the first premium, the judges may award second or no premium, according to their judgement.
- Extra prizes may be awarded only at the discretion of the judges and with prior approval from the State Fair Administration.
- Supervisors and home arts employees and judges may enter articles for display only.
- Identical articles entered in home arts as well as fine arts or creative arts, entered by the same person, are subject to disqualification with no refund of entry charge.
- Sweepstakes winners will not receive 1st place ribbon and/or money on same item.
- Premiums will be paid as shown for that Class unless otherwise specified.
- Judges decisions are final.
Exhibitors may not enter in more than one department in the same class.
DEPARTMENT HA1 - PROFESSIONAL: For competition purposes, a person who teaches sewing, creates patterns, is a shop owner/manager, or who makes over one-half of their income sewing, must enter as a professional and be judged accordingly. One article will be chosen and awarded a Sweepstakes Prize of a trophy and $25.00 if judges deem worthy.
DEPARTMENT HA2 - ADVANCED: For the more experienced person, but that does not meet the criteria for a professional. Five articles will be chosen and awarded a Sweepstakes Prize of a trophy and $20.00 if judges deem worthy.
DEPARTMENT HA3 - AMATEUR: Five articles will be chosen and awarded a Sweepstakes Prize of a trophy and $20.00 if judges deem worthy.
DEPARTMENT HA4 - SENIOR CITIZENS AGE 62 TO 74 will be given special consideration in all classes. Two articles will be chosen and awarded Sweepstakes Prize of a trophy & $15.00 if judges deem worthy.
DEPARTMENT HA5 - SUPER SENIORS AGE 75 AND OLDER will be given special consideration in all classes. One article will be chosen and awarded Sweepstakes Prize of a trophy & $15.00 if judges deem worthy.
DEPARTMENT HA6 - YOUTH (16 and under who do not desire to enter regular classes) All lot numbers in the Needlework and Home Handicraft classes will apply to this division. One article will be chosen and awarded a Sweepstakes Prize of a trophy & $15.00 if judges deem worthy.
DEPARTMENT HA7 - DISABLED INDIVIDUALS may enter a special class and premiums will be paid accordingly. Disability must be relevant to the entry. If disability is not declared, entry will be judged in the Amateur Division. One article will be chosen and awarded Sweepstakes Prize of a trophy & $15.00 if judges deem worthy.
Grand Prize Award
One awarded - all categories competing - $30 and Trophy
NOTE: Exhibitors are not eligible to win the Sweepstakes or Grand Prize award in two consecutive years.
NEEDLEWORK and HOME HANDICRAFTS - click here
FOODS - click here