1st Annual SUGAR ARTISTS OF UTAH Show
Co-sponsored by Chantal's Cakes and Desserts
Show Directors: Chantal Fairbourn, Amelia Carbine, & Tyler Marz
2018 Theme - "You Spin Me Right Round"
Entry Deadline: August 21
Adult: $30 (first entry) - additional category entries: $20
Teen/Pre-Teen (age 9-18): $10 (first entry) - additional category entries: $5
Child (age 8 and under): $5 (first entry) - additional category entries: $2
Late Entry Deadline: August 28
Adult: $40 (first entry) - additional category entries: $30
Teen/Pre-Teen (age 9-18): $20 (first entry) - additional category entries: $10
Child (age 8 and under): $10 (first entry) - additional category entries: $5
Entries Received: Tuesday, September 4 - 10:00 am - Promontory Building
Judging: Wednesday, September 5
Award Ceremony: Saturday, September 8 - 10:00 am - Heritage Building
Entries Released: Monday, September 17 - 10:00 am - 7:00 pm and Tuesday, September 18 - 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
1. This competition will follow ICES Certified Judging Standards
2. Competition is open to all sugar artists. Entries must be the sole work of the individual entering, except children under 12 who may have help baking, making icing, and covering the board.
3. Items must be submitted on Tuesday, September 5 between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm at the Promontory Building. Cakes may NOT be removed before Monday, September 17 between 10:00 am and 7:00 pm or Tuesday, September 18 between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
4. Cake dummies may be used, but the entry must be designed so that it could be make of real cake.
5. Purchased, ready-made decorations may not be used. The use of plastic is discouraged and carries no value in judging. Cold porcelain will not be allowed.
6. Only products considered for food use, non-toxic products (i.e. disco dust, glues, etc.) may only be used on decorations that can be removed before cake is consumed. Hot glue is not permitted.
7. No copyrighted or trademarked characters, logos, or likenesses of any kind are allowed.
8. You may enter one cake per category, and as many categories in you division as you wish.
9. No access to electricity will be available. Battery operated movements or ligts are allowed as long as they are self contained. The artist is responsible for turning them on/off each day, if necessary. No special backdrops or table coverings are allowed.
10. Only creations made since January 2018 may be entered.
11. The show committee and judges reserve the right to reclassify entries.
12. Although every precaution will be take, the Utah State Fair, it's employees, and Chantal's Cakes and Desserts will not be responsible for damaged or stolen items.
13. Entries will be judged on workmanship, originality, color coordination, and artistic appearance.
14. Judging will be done by the poin scoring method. Judges are not required to award placings if they feel entries do not warrant it. The decision of the judge(s) will be final.
15. Prizes may not be awarded in all categories.
16. Prize winning cakes from other shows may be entered in this show.
17. Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
18. No advertising or business cards allowed on or near entries unti after judging takes place.
19. Entries may be photographed and phots used by the Utah State Fair and the show committee for promotional purposes with no compensation to the artist.
20. Awards and prizes will be presented at the awards ceremony or during release dates.
21. All taxes on any awards won are the sole responsibility of the winner.
22. Entries must have a base no larger than 24" and cannot have a height greater than 48".
DIVISIONS AND CATEGORIES
It is important to place yourself in the correct division. If you have previously won Best of Division twice, you should move to the next level. Place yourself fairly.
All youth attending the competition should be accompanied by an adult. Youth entrants age must be included on the entry form.
DIVISION A: Child - age 8 and under.
May have help baking, making icing, and covering the board. Frosting the item and all decorating must be his/her own work.
1. Single tier cake up to 6"
Division B: Pre-Teen - age 9-12
Must do all the work, including baking the cake, making icing, covering the board, frosting the cake, and all the decorating.
4. Single tier cake up to 6"
5. Multi tier cake
Division C: Teen - age 13-18
6. Special Occasion
Division D: Beginner - open to anyone over the age of 18 who is self taught through online classes, books, etc., is decorating as a hobby for less than 2 years, has taken less than 25 hours of sugar art classes, is enrolled in an adult culinary pastry program or has graduated from one within the last 6 months. Gum passte, lace points, wired flowers, or foreign techniques are not permitted.
8. Wedding Cake
9. Special Occasion
Division E: Intermediate - open to anyone over ae 18 who has been decorating two years or more as a hobby, has taken 25 to 50 hours of sugar art classes, is enrolled in an adult cake and baking program, or has graduated from one within the last 6 months, has won one Best of Beginner Division award.
11. Wedding Cake
12. Special Occasion
Division F: Advanced/Semi-Professional - open to anyone over age 18 who has been decorating more than three (3) years, has taken 50-100 hours of sugar art classes, creates cakes for sale as a part time business, has less than three years entry level commercial bakery experience, teaches basic cake decorating classes, has won two Best of Intermediate Division awards. Less than 49% of foreign or special techniques may be used.
14. Wedding Cake
15. Special Occasion
Division G: Professional - open to anyone over age 18 who has been decorating for more than five (5) years, has taken 100 to 150 hours of sugar art classes, is an ICES Certified Sugar Artist, is an ACF Certified Executive Pastry Chef, creates cakes for sale as a full time profession, has more than three years commercial decoration experience, demonstrates, teaches (or has taught) classes in advanced cake decorating and sugar art techniques (beyond basic icing/piping skills), has won three Best of Semi-Professional Division awards.
17. Wedding Cake
18. Special Occasion
Division H: Foreign Techniques - open to all. Must be at least 50% of the same technique (Lambeth, Nirvana, Australian, etc.)
20. Wedding Cake
21. Special Occasion
Single Tier - a single tier cake for a special event, holiday, or celebration. The occasion should be obvious when looking at the cake, i.e. birthday, shower, anniversary, Halloween, Christmas, etc.
Wedding Cake - cake must have two or more tiers. Tiers may be separated or stacked. Base must be no larger than 24 inches. Cake height can be no more than 48 inches. Non-edible adornments will not be considered in judging. Entry may be made of stryofoam or rice Krispies, however, must be able to be made out of real cake.
Special Occasion - any style of decoration and type of icing may be used. Non-edible adornments will not be considered in judging. Entry bay be made of styrofoam or rice krispies, however, sculpted cakes must be able to be made out of real cake. Base must be no larger than 24".
Sculpted Cake - a cake using at least 70% edible materials with 50% able to be cake. Entry may be made of styrofoam or rice krispies, however, must be able to be made out of real cake. An explanation of what portion of the cake would be actual cake and how it would be structured as an actual cake. Any icing mediums are allowed (fondant, buttercream, etc.)
Foreign Technique Cake - the cake must be decorated with at least 50% of an identifieable foreign technique (i.e. Lambeth, Nirvana, Australian, South African, etc.). Over piping, basic string work, and brush embroidery, etc. would not be considered foreign techniques.